Living a simple life in a cottage by the sea.

Feb 1, 2013

A February (frugal) Post


February's shy little violet symbolizes modesty, innocence as well as continued affection for one who has died.


"Keep your faith in beautiful things;
  in the sun when it is hidden,
  in the Spring when it is gone."
  ~ Roy R. Gibson


February is my least favorite month. It brings around anniversaries of the saddest kind. So, I've been trying to focus on other things, like happy memories that bring me joy.

Anyway, this month we (as a family) are striving to begin to live more frugally. We have some credit debt we would like to pay off as well as some medical bills. I've gathered the bills together and we will begin the "debt snowball plan." I've been reading some books by Dave Ramsey (from the library) and it has really turned my thinking around in regards to money, debt and most of all saving.

I'm actually excited about starting this journey towards being debt free. That's not to say it won't be hard, because I can tell you this family likes "stuff." But something's gotta give and we if don't start saving and buckle down I can see trouble in the future. Once upon a time we had a nice little bit of savings, but along came a hurricane and there we were with the task of starting over and rebuilding our home. Credit is something that is pretty easy to get and very hard to get out of.

I'm looking for ways to cut back as much as we can, hopefully without too many complaints. A few things we will be doing...

cooking and baking from scratch ~ I do this anyway, but I do still buy a few shortcuts I could do without.

my daughter and I are going to be doing our own hair  ~ can you tell? My  daughter dyed my hair last week.

In May, our cell phone contract will be up ~ so I'm getting rid of that and honestly I hardly ever use it since I'm home most of the time. My husband will get a pay as you go phone.

I've already started our Spring garden, planted onions, spinach and lettuce.  I hope our garden will do better than last year!

Use just our fireplace to heat the house. So far we haven't turned on the heat!

Most important ~ only buy using cash ~ no more credit cards!!

I know there is plenty more things to implement which I will share here and there...


                                           Have a wonderful weekend!


7 comments:

  1. We are trying to live more frugally & pay off debt as well, Laurie. Good luck to you on this endeavor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog you have created! Looking forward to reading more. We seem to be hit by medical bills, even with good insurance. Hate to owe anybody. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    We took the Dave Ramsey class and read his books. We loved it! We paid off our house and got out of all credit card debt. It is so wonderful to be financially free! Good luck on the journey.

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that February is a "sad" month for you. I actually look forward to it because the month of January seems SO long and drawn-out. :)

    Your frugality goals sound great! I've heard of the book by Dave Ramsey, but I have never read it. We've done a few things here to "cut back," but it's not always an easy thing to do.

    BTW, I liked the quote you shared at the beginning of this post.

    Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog and enjoyed my visit:) Great post as I am always looking for ideas to save!!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so inspiring!!! I'm on a budget too since I'm a student and find it difficult to work during the semester. Your hair looks beautiful :) To me that's one of the easiest expenses to trim. Store bought hair dye is so cheap and easy, and I cut my own hair too. Haven't been to a salon in years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blog! I too am looking to cut corners. Thanks! So pretty and inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete

“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.”
~ Leo F. Buscaglia quotes