"Pretty" Frugal

 
 
 
My husband is one of the many unlucky ones affected by the govermnet furloughs to begin as early March.  Needless to say we are really cracking down on how we spend our money.
 
 
Other ways we are trying to save :
 
canceled Netflix and most probably cable (this one is really tough on the hubby as he likes his weekend tv shows)
 
I let my Victoria and Mary Jane's Farm Magazine subscribtions run out
 
We expanded our garden and will be planting green beans, tomatoes, squash, and cantalope this Summer. Husband is hoping to harvest enough to can.
 
I plan to make another big batch of laundry detergent this weekend to last us several months
 
I've started a menu planner folder where I also keep coupons ~ I have to admit coupons drive me crazy. Especially the ones where I have to buy 2 of something. We are going to get our pantry as full as possible, so maybe that won't be a bad thing. Oh yeah, and diapers are crazy expensive!!
 
Now, just because we have to tighten our belts, doesn't mean I'll be cutting down on making life pretty at our cottage.  There are lots of way to make life beautiful without costing a lot.
 
For intsance ~
 
I'm also planting a flower garden (using the seeds I harvested from last year's garden) so I'll have simple bouquets
 

 
 
I'll be using this pretty graphic for a label to wrap my soap (lovely looking soap  makes me feel like I'm using something luxurious even if it's just the pink Dove!)
 
.Making time for tea in the afternoon ~  just tea and cinnammon toast can be enough ~ and of course using a pretty cup!
 
Finishing up some (forgotten) sewing and cross~stitch projects to add beauty to everyday useful items
 
I'm planting a window box full of herbs ~ lavender, thyme, rosemary, mint and sage.  Hopefully I'll have some to dry for sachets and tea
 
 
 
 


Comments

  1. We went without any TV for 2 years. It was hard at first and then you get used to it. Now we have it again. May God bless you during this hard time.

    xo,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry it has come to your family...but I'm sure it will come to many more! I think we all will be hurting soon...I know my husband's company where he works is limping along. I like your ideas! (as for t.v...my husband happily watches old shows on the computer...as we only have basic cable which has nothing). Luckily for me ..in a way, I grew up very frugally and loved cinnamon toast, along with noodle- milk soup, pierogies, french toast and other simple foods! My yard is too shady...so I will never be able to have a good garden as my parent's and all their neighbors had :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to do the same thing. My Mister lost his $20 an hour job and went to one making $15. You don't think $5 is much but when the overtime and benefits are cut out, it is a huge chunk of money. I love that you are keeping the beauty in your day, no matter what.

    Grace & Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips !!! We have to be very careful with the money too here.
    The Netherlands are still in the middle of the crisis and the end is not in sight yet, so we try to be as frugal as possible, without having to reduce the quality of living ; )
    I hope to see pictures of the garden when it's in bloom !!
    Hugs from The Netherlands.
    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouuu I'm really bad at being frugal but I know life can be lovely even if you are. Perhaps even lovelier. Simpler. I bet things will be much more peaceful without tv. Time to find beauty in simplicity and love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.”
~ Leo F. Buscaglia quotes