Living a simple life in a cottage by the sea.

Apr 13, 2013

Baby Chicks and Lazy Days


 
 
We brought our new chicks home yesterday.  What a cute bunch.  It will be awhile before we know if there's any roosters.  We know someone who will take them off our hands if need be.  In the meantime they will get lots of care and cuddles.  I don't want to name any of them yet until we are sure who is who, although I'm a bit partial to one of the light orange ones I can't help but call Buttercup.  Other names in the running are Lily, Violet and Blossom.  There are seven all together, so I think we will be lucky if we get 3 maybe 4 hens out of the bunch.
 
 
Today I'll be planting a few more tomatoes, eggplants and radishes. I bought some strawberry plants and begonias that were 50% off at Lowes  ~ just slightly wilted, hopefully will bounce back once in the ground.  After gardening I plan on relaxing!  I'm going to sit outside and read for a bit. I'm making an easy dinner of sauerkraut and hot dogs with fresh strawberries for dessert. 
Tomorrow we are in for lots of rain, which calls for a slow cooking dinner (a roast perhaps?) and the day spent lounging about with lovely pots of tea and good books.
 
Have a pleasant weekend!
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. What adorable little chicks! I think the name you have for the chick that caught your eye is perfect.

    They are so precious!

    The meal you are planning sounds delicious. I'm sure it will be well received.

    Happy gardening and reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...sheer magical awesomeness! ~ may thee have a blissful time! ~ sending biggest carts full of lavender sunshine! ~ blessed be!...(0:

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you started planting already Laurie...here in the mountains, the weather is just too unpredictable to plant anything yet
    :(

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sweet chicks. Enjoy your gardening. We are beginning to warm up here.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laurie (Rosebud) - I discovered your lovely blog through "A little Fur in the Paint". I took a bit of time to read all of your past year's posts. So glad to know you and meet your grandson. Thank you so much for sharing your loves and life. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those chicks are so very cute. Wish I had the space for them, they could come over for a visit anytime they would wish ; )
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! They are so very precious! Hugs, Mina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Rosebud, so glad you visited my blog and left sweet comments. That is how I found my way to your lovely blog. I've been looking around and I think we are kindred spirits.

    Except I don't have any chickens :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Laurie,
    I am so happy you stopped by! I haven't visited in a while. I am finding the Reading List doesn't come up on a regular basis and there are so many friends to visit.
    I am putting your blog on my sidebar and then I will be able to keep in touch better.

    Your wee chicks are so darling and I love the name Buttercup!
    My Daddy once brought a bunch of little yellow chicks home when I was a little girl. They had to be kept under a lamp. They were so adorable and I've been taken by them ever since. I don't have any chicks but I do have my roses in the summertime.

    Thank you for sharing and coming by for a visit. Have a beautiful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww. Baby chickees!! How sweet. I am a bit green with envy, but maybe someday...just someday...I'll have chickees. :) And how can that baby be a year??? Where does the time go? Enjoy your beautiful rainy, lazy day!

    xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just went through the wee baby chick phase . Buttercup is a grand name as are the others you have picked. I just found your blog via Earthen Magic so glad I stopped by we both have chickie posts this week ! :)

    ReplyDelete

“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.”
~ Leo F. Buscaglia quotes