Living a simple life in a cottage by the sea.

Dec 17, 2013

Our cottage Farm

 
"There ought to be Gardens for all Months in the year, in which, severally, things of Beauty may be then in season."
-  Sir Francis Bacon


Is there such a thing as a cottage farm?  I don't know, but that is how I like to think of our little homestead.  I'm already dreaming of our spring garden.  Soon it will be time for those seed catalogs to arrive and then I can spend time pouring over my wish list with a cup of tea and a dog in my lap! We plan to expand our garden a bit this year, but of course we never really know how things will turn out..what will grow, what won't, what will get eaten my bugs, too much rain, too little, too hot...
but we'll hope for the best.


 Our three new hens have started laying eggs. Our three older girls will wait til' spring.  So now we have Charlotte, Lizzy, Marianne, Buttercup, Penelope and Miss Pittypat.  They all have very different personalities, from Bossy Charlotte (the leader of the pack) to not so bright Lizzy, shy Marianne, boisterous Buttercup, lovable Penelope and then there is the oh so ladylike Miss Pittypat.

 

Lizzy is molting, which is why she looks a bit bedraggled.
 
 
I must admit I love our Girls for their quirkiness and the fact they provide mighty tasty breakfasts! Not to mention we don't have to buy eggs anymore.
 
 

This is the jean jacket I picked up at the thrift store.

I plan on using this lace one way or another to pretty it up.




This Christmas is very laid back.  We didn't do much shopping aside from a few toys for grand baby, and one or two things for each kid.  My daughter and I are planning a cookie baking day on Wednesday, baking sugar cookies, chocolate chip as well as making peppermint bark.  We don't go in for much variety since none of us have much of a sweet tooth.

I don't know if it is just me, but I haven't been in a particularly Christmassy mood this year.  I've noticed not has many houses are decorated in my neighborhood either.  About this time, I usually get a bit burnt out on Christmas cheer anyway. 
 I'm  looking forward to January and those garden catalogs.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie,
    We are having a simple Christmas too.
    I love your new wardrobe. I noticed this week I have way too much black in my closet. I am going to add more color. I love your new haircut. It looks great on you. That is on my list for next year. A new hair style.
    XXOO
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one that is missing the 'cheer'...

    Like you, our celebration is very low key and quite simple. Perfect :)

    Good to see you sharing again Laurie.

    m.b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie, my name is Delisa. I am 50 years old and live in rural south Georgia. I happened to see your comment on Maria's blog and thought I would pop over and say hello.

    You have a beautiful blog! I love all the pictures of your cottage farm and your sweet pets. I have a big 90 lb., 9 year old beloved golden retriever who thinks he is a "baby". :)

    I also enjoyed your post about apple canning, and all the beautiful quotations. I love working in the kitchen too, knitting, crocheting, writing and pretty much anything to do with "tea". (tea cups, tea pots, tea parties...) I hope you will stop by and visit my blogs sometime. Have a lovely and restful evening. Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Laurie,

    It's been forever since I've come by to visit! I'm glad to see that you are still sweetening the lives of your family with your talents and love.
    Our hens are molting, too, and really are not fond of the cold weather we've been having lately! They are so much fun to be around; I like "cottage farm" for a description, and chickens fit right in with that. :)

    Love and Christmas blessings,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Christmas is going to be pretty quiet, as well. I like it that way, these days. Sometimes I miss the boisterous holidays of my children's youth, but I do like my holidays to be simple.

    ReplyDelete

“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.”
~ Leo F. Buscaglia quotes