A New Year


"There are two seasonal diversions that can ease the bite of any winter.  One is the January thaw.  The other is the seed catalogues."
-  Hal Borland


 
Our grandson having fun with a Christmas gift

I've been making some goals for the new year.  Spend less, pare down belongings (which we've been doing) and learn to play the piano!  My son is a piano music major so he is gong to teach me how to play the theme to Downton Abbey.  That is really the only thing I want to learn, I love the music.

Over the last week our entire family has donated quite a lot of clothes and other things to Goodwill.  Several other bags of old towels and blankets went to our local animal shelter. I can acutally see what clothes I have now,  instead of a pile of things I won't wear again.  I also packed away spring and summer clothes, since I don't think we will be needing them any time soon.

My other BIG goal is to not to buy anything new for 2014. I'm not counting toiletries (although I will try to replace storebought with homemade).  I'm really talking about fun stuff like new clothes, magazines and dodads for the cottage.  This will be a real challenge.  I also want to curb by thrift store shopping, since after letting go of so many clothes, I really don't need to fill up my closet again. Kind of defeats the purpose of downsizing. 


I've started to receive seed catalogs in the mail, which I'm just dreaming about purchasing right now  ~  any seeds that will be bought will be vegetables and fruit, (I saved flower seeds from last years garden). I consider seeds a necessity since it cuts down on our grocery bill.  

Well, I guess that's it for now.  I hope you all stay warm!!  Even down here on the Gulf Coast it will dip down into the teens ~ yikes!  We might actually have to turn on the heat.  So far we only had to use the wood stove to heat our cottage.  Tonight will be a cozy evening spent watching the beginning of season 4 of Downton Abbey.

 
 


Comments

  1. Hi Laurie, such great goals for the new year. We just cleaned out our garage a few weeks ago and donated a whole car load to Goodwill. It felt so good to know that others would enjoy the clothes and furniture that we could no longer use. Have a lovely day and stay warm. It's pretty cold up our way too. With Love, Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    a very Happy New Year to you and yours.
    I hope all your wishes come true !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie,
    I have been thinking about you today. Stewardship is my word for 2014. I too am going to buy less and use what I have. Once we move into the house I m going to go through each box carefully. Keeping only the things that make my heart sing. I plan to buy the things we need to decorate the house like chairs,curtains and ect. Knick knacks I have plenty of.
    I love his post. Jake is getting so big. He is cute as a button. Looks like you.
    XXOO
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie,
    I hope everything is going well for you this year!
    I am looking forward to more posts. Your blog is always so cheerful and lovely.
    Hugs!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.”
~ Leo F. Buscaglia quotes