A Different Christmas


"Christmas isn't a season, it's a feeling."
Edna Ferber

My Advent " wreath" is looking a tad bare.  At the moment I only have a few sprigs of rosemary surrounding it as I have yet to add some pine. We bought our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.  We have it in a bucket on our back porch until I'm ready to bring it in to decorate.  That won't be until about the 15th or so...I don't want it up too early this year.  For years we put the tree up on my daughter's birthday December 17, and then somehow we got away from that and the tree started going up earlier and earlier. When I was a kid we put the tree up on Christmas Eve!  Well, I don't want to wait that long, but I know from experience if it's up too early I get sick of it. Sad, but true.  Truth be told, I'm not much into Christmas this year.  I'm missing my Dad, and that in turn makes me miss my Mom, and then I'm flooded with all those memories of Christmases past. I'm going to take it easy on myself this year and scale back. Thankfully, I'm finished shopping and will let my kids do the wrapping.  I plan on baking just sugar cookies this year ( instead of the usual plethora), and most certainly decorating will be minimal. My heart is just not in it and I can't bear to go through the boxes of Christmas stuff.  Last Christmas my Dad sent me a huge box of decorations that have been in the family for years.  Many were my Mom's favorites.  
  I do want to make Christmas a happy time for my grandson.  He's three now and is very excited about Santa Claus.  He's going to help his PaPa ( my husband) this week and put up a train set. That should be fun. We'll make cookies together and read Christmas stories.  


Our Christmas tree waiting it's turn.

On a really fun note, my daughter and I are attending a Downton Abbey screening of the first episode of season 6. We're really looking forward to that!

My "Downton Abbey" dress.







Comments

  1. What a wonderful post dear :) I wish you a happy healthy 2016 with lots of fun!

    Check out my new post - My amazing kitchen floor makeover :)

    LOVE Maria Inredning - it's Swedish for decor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.”
~ Leo F. Buscaglia quotes