Living a simple life in a cottage by the sea.

Feb 22, 2016

Secret Anniversaries


“February, when the days of winter seem endless and no amount of wistful recollecting can bring back any air of summer.”
  Shirley Jackson



I don't like the month of February. Yesterday ( February 21st) marked 10 years since my Mom died. This coming Sunday the 28th, marks one year since I lost my Dad. 


Holidays

The holiest of all holidays are those

Kept by ourselves in silence and apart;
The secret anniversaries of the heart,
When the full river of feeling overflows;--
The happy days unclouded to their close;
The sudden joys that out of darkness start
As flames from ashes; swift desires that dart
Like swallows singing down each wind that blows!
White as the gleam of a receding sail,
White as a cloud that floats and fades in air,
White as the whitest lily on a stream,
These tender memories are;--a fairy tale
Of some enchanted land we know not where,
But lovely as a landscape in a dream.


Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 



2 comments:

  1. I suppose if we didn't have sadness we might never look to the heavens and contemplate a life other than here. February is the worst month! My dad died in February. I am finding the whole winter hard to take anymore...now I can see why so many retires go to Florida to live! I was at St. John the Beloved this a.m. and looking out the windows at the rain, and thinking how I wish it were summer! (If they had stained glass windows I wouldn't be daydreaming..ha!) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things are getting better and calm for you.
    I have missed your posts. Spring is here! I would love to hear from you!
    Hugs! Sandy

    ReplyDelete

“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.”
~ Leo F. Buscaglia quotes